Sunday, May 20, 2012

Chat

Most of the time I'm pretty unhappy with my paintings. I see so many things that are wrong. It's pretty discouraging and sometimes seems like there is no progress. Yet with each painting session, I learn something new. I know that through constant practice and focused repetition, eventually I will get better.

I'm reading an excellent book by Stanford University psychologist, Carol Dweck, Mindset . I learned about this book from my favorite blog, Learning to See - A Journey Back to Painting. The premise of "Mindset" is that talent isn't innate; it's something that is achieved through diligence and hard work.

The wonderful and liberating idea is that we aren't helpless and hopeless - we haven't been consigned to a set intelligence or a set talent. Success is in our hands and within our control. A good reason to keep painting!

1 comment:

juliefordoliver.blogspot.com said...

I think it is so true about hard work. You see it with the Olympic athletes. The training they do is intense. Piano, etc...same thing. Everything you want to excel at you have to work at it. I have taken a long time to develop my fracturing
technique, Never have given up. I rarely like my own work so will get the book. Thanks for the recommendation.