Friday, July 29, 2011

The Back Fence

Oil on canvas. 8"x10"


Sometimes I feel very frustrated because I'm not making better progress with my painting. I wish I could do a better job of capturing what I see.

This is a painting of our backyard. There is a Dublin Bay rose bush near the corner of the fence that has been blooming like crazy all summer. It's just so pretty.

I believe that painting is a combination of talent and skill. Talent may be something that is inherent, but I know skill comes from constant practice. I'll continue to practice in the hopes that I will improve. I do love to paint and I'll continue to paint regardless.

To see the work of someone who has both talent and skill, check out Carol Horzempa's blog, "South of North Studio." Carol is an artist who lives in southeast Wisconsin. I especially like the way she is able to capture personality in the animal paintings she's done. To see Carol's work, click on this link: South of North Studio

2 comments:

Carol Horzempa said...

I admire how you can keep your colors so fresh and bright and just enough detail to give the impression of flowers growing near the fence.

Thank your for your compliment on my work but you are far too generous. Actually I should follow your example and paint as often as you do.

Sue Harrell said...

Thank you, Carol. I love your work - you're an inspiration!