Sunday, April 17, 2011

Experiment

Oil on canvas board. 7"x5"
It's past 1:00 a.m. and I'm still painting...so ridiculous. I made the mistake of reading a painting blog that had the best description for how to lay on paint. The blogger (I'll locate his name tomorrow) said to put on the paint the way you lay tiles. Licking the paint (isn't that a disgusting term?) will mix the paint on the canvas and cause it to look flat. If the paint is placed on one layer after another, the previous colors will show through and give off a sort of vibration. (You have to trust me on this - sometimes you can get colors to vibrate.)

Of course I had to try it...that's why I'm still awake.

The painting itself is nothing to write home about, but I think the "aha" moment that goes along with it is really a step forward for me in understanding how color works. Now I get why the color studies are so important.

Good night.

No comments: