Wednesday, September 11, 2013

September Challenge #11




Just a quick post. I'm running late this morning, so will wait to comment until this evening.

Update: This painting just gave me fits.  I was still working on it at 2:00 a.m. this morning. (That's why I overslept!)

I think there were two reasons for the struggle. The first problem that presented itself was my old nemesis, composition. I thought this arrangement looked ok, but once I got it on canvas, I wasn't happy with it - I need to do more work on composition. The other struggle was with the yellow color...maybe too acid. I use a simple five color palette and can mix most colors with it, but the mixed yellow for this painting wasn't what I was looking for.

I'm just whipped from not sleeping last night, so this evening's painting is going to be something simple...although that's no guarantee that I'll get it finished at a reasonable hour.

2 comments:

Maga Fabler said...

Beautiful light, Sue. And the background is really interesting. The yellow is good for me - vibrant and fresh.

Sue Harrell said...

Thank you, Maga. I'm glad to hear that about the yellow, because when I finished the painting, it seemed too bright. Sometimes it's hard to judge.

Hope things are going well for you. Your little cats are just wonderful!